Do you post audio recordings of your sermons on your church website? Adding transcripts provides many benefits:
- Written text makes your sermon accessible to people with hearing impairments, people who have difficulty understanding spoken English, and people who just don’t have time to listen to a full recording, but would love to hear your message.
- The text of your sermons will be indexed by Google and other search engines, driving more visitors to your site – and hopefully to your church!
- You can use the transcript in blog posts, emails, and social media marketing.
My standard rate for recordings with a single speaker is $1.80 per minute of audio, or $.03 per second. For example:
This is a typical mid-range price point for sermon transcription, and I offer a number of advantages over low-cost services:
- Consistent high quality: With low-cost transcription services, you often don’t know who is transcribing your file, and it could be a different person each time, leading to inconsistent quality. I have three years of transcription experience, a background in editing, and a strong command of English grammar and sentence structure.
- Ready to go: The finished transcripts will require little to no editing on your part – just put them right on your website!
- Biblical literacy: I am a lifelong Christian, and I’ve read the Bible cover to cover. I use websites like BibleGateway and Bible Hub to make sure all Scripture references and quotations are accurate and formatted correctly.
- Personal communication: I will work with you to create transcripts that suit your needs.
- Fairness: For any transcript, I can do one round of reasonable corrections for no additional charge. If you send me a file that I know I can’t transcribe accurately (because of poor audio quality, difficult/unfamiliar accents or terminology, etc.), I will let you know right away rather than taking your money for an inferior product.
My goal is to create a transcript that is easily readable and accurately represents what you said. This means that I clean up false starts, speech disfluency (your “likes” and “ums”), self-correction, and obvious misspeaking, but I never paraphrase or change the meaning of the text.
Before I transcribe one of your sermons for the first time, I will ask you a few questions about your formatting preferences. (For example, do you capitalize pronouns referring to God and/or Jesus?) If you have any other specifications, let me know!
If you speak from a script (not an outline) but sometimes ad-lib or paraphrase, then rather than creating a transcript from scratch, I can edit your script so that it matches what you actually said. This service is billed by how long it takes me (at $36/hour), not by audio minute, and will never exceed the cost of a full transcription of the same recording.
Allow three full days for sermons up to 30 minutes in length, and five days for sermons over 30 minutes. At this time, I do not offer rush delivery.